Release date: 4/20/2018
Format : Digital
Label: No Affiliation Records
Current Lineup: (Per Facebook)
Mike K – Guitar/Vox
Tyler A – Guitar/Vox
Jamie O – Bass
Greg M – Drums/Vox
Our Favorite Track(s) : The Half Of It and Monsters
Sounds Like : NOFX, No Use For A Name, Ten Foot Pole, Lee Rocker
From : New Brunswick, Canada
Canadian punk’s The Follow Ups are back in the CPRA spotlight. As their new ep, “The Half Of It”, drops on 4/20/2018. If you wish to time travel back to the review click here. So when we scored an advanced copy of the ep we were super excited to review it. It’s not often when listening to music you realize you’re actually listening to a novel of some sort. Is this a hero vs villains kinda thing? I am absolutely loving this album. Let’s check it out track by track!
- Heart On My Sleeve – This is a great intro and sneak peek into the rest of the ep. I really dig the opening guitar riff and drums. Have you ever been in that situation where you really love someone, and that person doesn’t even know you’re alive? “I’m still a sucker for punishment, just tell me that I can see you tonight”. Man that’s fucking deep!
- Krista’s Getting Married – Written to the tune of The Dixie Cup’s, “Chapel of Love”. You know, “We’re going to the chapel and we’re gonna get married’. This is what’s like when the person you’re madly in love decides to get married to somebody else. It’s fucking heartbreaking, but our hero decides to deal. The Follow Up’s really show how talented they are on this track. They’ve turned this older tune, into a rocking psychobilly punk beat.
- Monsters – I love this fucking song! I’m guessing Krista changed her mind is now fucking with our hero again. Jesus Krista! Get your shit together! Trying to sleep when your head and heart are stuck on someone else, SUCKS! “I’m running from invisible monsters, and they’re waking up again tonight”.
- At The Drive In – This is a perfect follow up to Monsters. It’s about reminiscing about times long gone. The drums again on this song are amazing!
- The Half Of It – Next to Monsters this is by far my favorite song on the EP. I can definitely see this song landing on Punk Tacos, (Iheart radio you still sucks btw). You know the feeling when a relationship is just awful and will break at anytime? You’re dealing with those monsters in your head and now he/she says, “We need to talk”. “Hold on till tomorrow, we about to see how bad this can get”.
- Rock And Roll Show – Again the Follow Ups show their talent by shifting gears from a punk anthem like the Half Of It to a hard rock and roll beat. Yet it’s a beat you can grab your girl and dance to.
- Tell Me You’ll Be Mine – A simply love song that keeps you head boppin with melody and up tempo beats. Is our hero stuck in the friend zone on this one?
- No Remedy – When it’s over, it’s over. This a great progressive song about calling it quits.
Why does this EP kick ass?
The Follow Up’s have created an engaging ep, which shows their talents in a blend of superb punk rock and roll. Their songs are related to the human condition and trying to find strength none can be found. This ep really engaged the younger side of this old school punk. If you know anyone who likes punk even a little, bring them to the Dark Side with the Half Of It. I am hoping we get a tour sometime soon.
Pick up “The Half Of It” on 4/20/2018 here, https://thefollowups.bandcamp.com/music. Be sure to check them out on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/TheFollowUps/. Instagram link – https://www.instagram.com/followupsband/. Be sure to also check out their label, “No Affiliation Records”, they have some great bands!